Saturday, February 11, 2012

Virtual Run for Sherry Arnold

As most people in the running community know, today was the virtual run for Sherry Arnold. Sherry Arnold was a avid runner, a school math teacher, a wife, and a well respected individual.  One morning about a month ago in a small town, Sherry was abducted and believed to be murdered.  Sherry went for her typical saturday morning run.  She was believed to be abducted about ten minutes after six, about a mile from her home.  Coming from a small town, being active, and running in town i always thought i was safe, but this proves otherwise.  We need to be careful.  For those of you who did not know about this, today in this beautiful running community a virtual run was set in place by her cousin.  People all over the world ran virtually in honor of Sherry.

I ran 6 miles today for Sherry and definitely had my own scare.  So I like to run around tempe town lake because there is not a lot of stop lights that make you stop running (or when driving make you push the brakes)  So annoying right!  Its also a beautiful view.  However, because i run a lot further than the actual "lake" at tempe town lake, I run west to priest road to get an extra mile in.  Seeing as people would rather run with the view of the lake not many people run that far west, therefore it was pretty much just me and a strange guy.   (the road is like a T so you can run and turn left or right so he is on the right which is where i was going to be running)  So this guy looks at me and stops and stands still leaning against a pole (to the right of the T) staring at me.  So i stop to see what he does acting like i'm stretching but keeping my eye on him the entire time  He just stays there and stares, eventually he gets tired of waiting and starts walking towards me (so he walks left) so I practically sprint the other way so going south which you can take left to get towards all the people, in which he turns completely around and follows me.  Luckily nothing happened and i never saw him again. Obviously he was a creep.  So running buddies, run where there are lots of people around and at close distance. (Now if your not confused about directions then i am impressed, if you are then ill be more than happy to explain it to you!)

Ok and now onto a more positive note, i ran 6 miles today.  Go me!  It was such a nice run, not difficult at all, my breath was not labored and my legs are not sore.  Definitely a good run.  But i really need to wake up earlier because by the end of my run its like 11:30 and extremely hot.  I think the weather got confused on what month it is, but i am definitely not complaining because I HATE THE COLD!!!  Its just so hard for me to wake up early on saturday because its my only day to sleep in.  :(

So instead of doing homework I went and watched and old friend play in the ASU softball tournament.  Ash plays for BYU so I spent the entire day watching her as well as other teams play.  I got a nice little tan!
Oh and i watched texas tech kick U of A's butt!  I had to hold in my excitement because i was with Ashlee's family and she used to play for them, but inside i was loving every minute of it.  I found myself cheering a few times for texas without even realizing.  Oops!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Girl, do not let the creepo's creep on you. We will ninja karate fight them. Glad I'm starting my running just in my neighborhood. And congrats on the six miles and not being sore or out of breath! That's impressive, I wonder how long it will take me to feel that way. Probably forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, i was literally freaking out a little. Especially since Sherry and her story was on my mind. Jovi, you will be there before you know it. I promise. We shall run together, it always makes me run a little faster or a little further when I run with somebody. So let me know if your down!

    ReplyDelete